But first, Im going to quickly recap over the highlights of last year. I could probably go on forever about how wonderful 2012 was, but I won’t! I decided to separate the best experiences into categories to make it easy and to the point! A sort-of ‘Best off’ collection! So here goes…
Best Film of 2012: ‘The Dark Knight Rises’. Without a shadow of a doubt. A masterpiece in every aspect.
Best Experience of 2012: Without doubt, it’s getting to go to the Olympics and Paralympics. I was lucky enough to see Gemma Gibbons go to Silver in the Judo as well as getting to go to the Paralympic Closing Ceremony too. Seeing Coldplay live and sharing the atmosphere with everyone was beyond words. It was so sad that it all came to the end, but I’ll never forget Lord Seb Coe’s words:
…Together these past few weeks, we’ve shared some wonderful days, haven’t we?
Days when incredible people have performed feats we hardly thought possible. Days in the Paralympic Games when our minds opened to what people can do, to what they can achieve by sheer talent and determination.
…There are some famous words you can find stamped on the bottom of a product. Words that, when you read them, you know mean high quality, mean skill, mean creativity. We’ve stamped those words on the Olympic and Paralympic Games of London 2012. London 2012 – ‘made in Britain’.
Best TV Series of 2012: Oh my God. Hard. Both ‘Game of Thrones’ & ‘The Walking Dead’. Both fantastic and gripping!
Best Song of 2012: Coldplay – Paradise. I adore Coldplay, they are one of the few bands who are phenomenal live and the Paralympic Closing Ceremony was no exception. They performed all their classics and the stadium was turned into a light show. This song will forever remind me of Britain, it’s greatness and the amazing crowd who all sang out the lyrics in unity and happiness.
Best Album of 2012: Ellie Goulding. Enough said!
Best Book of 2012: Forget Fifty Shades of Grey. ‘On Dublin Street’ by Samantha Young is a wonderful, beautifully moving and romantic story. If you haven’t read it yet, I seriously recommend it!
Best Achievement of 2012: Starting to blog properly. Working Benefit Cosmetics really inspired me to write and document my life and loves more, and here I am!
Biggest Surprise of 2012: Getting tickets to see The Nutcracker streamed live to hundreds of cinemas world-wide. I’ve wanted to see it since I was a little girl, and although I wasn’t at the ROH, it didn’t take away from the experience. Seeing it at Christmas made the whole season magical!
Okay, that’s 2012 sorted. Lets focus on 2013 now. I didn’t want to focus on resolutions this time, more goals and ambitions. You shouldn’t try and change or criticise yourself too much; so with this in mind, I’ve looked only at the positive!
1. See lots of Stand-Up Comedy – this is already in motion as I’ve arranged to see Micky Flanagan, Sarah Millican & Greg Davies later this year! I can’t wait!
2. Learn to drive – I feel this is the year, even if I won’t be able to afford a car…!
3. Go on holiday – I haven’t been on one in 5 years and I definitely want to visit abroad again and travel!
4. Buy my Canon 5D Mark III – I’ve been wanting (and needing) a new camera for ages. I just need to keep saving and I’ll get there this year! I miss my DSLR so much!
5. See more films!
6. Travel to London more and get to know the city – There are some great places, such as the British Museum, that I’ve never been to! As a proud Brit, this has to be changed!
7. Start creating videos – this links back to my getting a new camera, but when I do I intend to become a fully fledged vlogger!
8. Establish my career – The first 5 weeks of the year taught me an important lesson – you need to do what you love and are passionate about. When you do that, it won’t feel like work. I learnt a lot from the experience, but the company and it’s message weren’t for me!
9. Go back to Edinburgh.
10. Start writing a book – I’ve been meaning to do this for a while, 2013 will be the year!
11. Take more weekends away – Travelling around the UK and making sure I take time to relax!
Okay, that’s it! I think they’re all doable and sensible goals. It might be the end of February already (cripes), but at least I have another 10 months to reach my goals! What’re some of your plans for the year? x