Over the next 30 days I am going to try and learn something new and/or do something new and out of my comfort zone every single day. I’ve got quite a few ideas, some of which I’ve included below. My hope is that by the end of this I will not only feel more confident, but enlivened and more knowledgeable. I’ll write a post every single day describing what I’ve done out of the ordinary and I hope you’ll follow me on my journey.
Here’s a selection of ideas you can expect to see over the coming weeks:
1. Start writing a book – I know everyone says they want to do this at some point, but I have genuinely always wanted to write my own erotic-style thriller. Think Basic Instinct! I’ve been told by numerous people that I write really well and should venture into something more challenging and I hope to either complete a short story or a few chapters of what will be my new book. In keeping with trying to be more confident, I will show them at the end of the challenge!
2. Book/do my first ever driving lesson – I am terrified to learn to drive, but it’s something I, for myself, want to try. If I don’t like it, I’ll stop, but I’m determined to at least give it a go! It’s a very personal and physical challenge, but if I can get past it, it’ll be one hell of an achievement.
3. Get in touch with old school and University friends – there are so many people I haven’t spoken to in years but were great friends with and I’d really like to rekindle those relationships – or at least see how they’re doing. I don’t make friends easily, I can sometimes be shy, so to get in touch out of the blue with people will definitely take some confidence on my part!
4. Do my first YouTube video – I’ve always wanted to expand into the world of vlogging, but I know it’s such a big step. Putting myself out there on YouTube for all to see is a terrifying concept, especially for a self-confessed introvert! But I’ll come up with a theme and do my best. If it is unsuccessful, I won’t say it’s a failure, just an area that needs improvement.
5. Wear more skirts and dresses – I own them in abundance, but I rarely have the confidence to wear them out and about. I receive many compliments when I actually wear them, but I always feel exposed when I do. I am determined to wear them on more than one day and to gain confidence in my appearance.
These are just a few of my ideas; the rest will be kept quiet until each day passes. I may do more than one idea on a day, depending on how brave I feel! They may seem small or like nothing to some people, however for me, they are genuine tasks that will push me to challenge my physical and mental boundaries.
So, what was today’s task?
I did two things today. I started by trying meditation for the first time. Stretches, breathing techniques and relaxation. It was 20 minutes of internal focus and I actually really enjoyed it! I’m obviously only a beginner, but I’m hoping with time I can get to the more difficult poses and stages. I felt really at peace and calm afterwards, not to mention sleepy and it’s definitely something I will continue. I might even look for a local class! As I suffer with terrible neck pain, nerve damage and headaches, I’m hoping meditation will help ease it and give me back some of my youthful mobility!
Secondly, and most importantly, I did something that I’ve wanted to do for a very long time. I signed up with the charity BeatBullying to become and receive training as an online mentor for those who suffer bullying. I didn’t do this for any form of recognition or praise – I have a genuine passion to help others and provide a listening ear. I was bullied mercilessly in school myself and I’m hoping at almost 25 I can give those younger than me an experienced and compassionate ear. If I can help someone, even just a little, I’ll be happy. The next step will be my training, which I am just waiting to hear about. I’ll keep you all updated on it!
So, tomorrow is day 2… what will I do then?
What have you done to push yourself? Have you ever done anything like this?